Monday, September 20, 2010

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

Last night was the first night of revival at our church. Since I usually work in the nursery on Sunday nights I volunteered to stay and help out the parents and teen girls from other churches that had volunteered to come and work the nursery for us during revival.

Well, I moved from room to room, helping out and specifically holding the inconsolable ones that just wanted a familiar face. The first child cried and gagged herself until she puked, luckily this probably wasn't the first time, because she leaned over the sink and neither of us ended up wearing it! I can't tell you how happy this made me...I do not do puke at my house...thankfully I have a hubby that jumps in and takes care of the awful task!

The next little one I have never seen cry. She is a sweet little girl that was adopted just this past year, along with her brother...they are 5 months apart, both domestic adoptions. She just melted on my shoulder and wanted to hold the plastic and woolly lambs on the counter...our nursery ministry is called, "little flock"...or something lamby like that. She was just a doll, but if I put her down the tears would flow!

In between this and the other children, my 3, almost 4 year old had decided he is now the baby again until Sissy comes home and would howl and cry if I walked out of eyesight! Good times!

About twenty minutes before the service was over there was a baby screeching at the top of her lungs! Poor thing, she was inconsolable. So, I offered to take her and see what I could do...I traded the sweet girl melted onto my shoulder for this little baby under a year old. Her bib was wet, she was crying so hard her face to her feet were red, and nothing was calming her.

I walked to a rocker, took of the bib, and began to fan her with a book while singing/croaking out "Twinkle, twinkle little star"... I have had a sinus infection for a week, so my voice had that in and out quality and a slight crack and croak...poor people that were helping and had to listen! Agh! She slowly began to calm, however, if I tried to sing anything else "Jesus Loves Me", etc. she would begin to get upset again.

So I sang "Twinkle, Twinkle" over and over again until she fell asleep. I looked at my friend and said, "Oh my what am I going to do?"

She was completely confused and asked what I had her asleep. I urgently said, "What if Annalee does this all the way home from Korea, 16 hours or so?" "What do I do?"

She smiled and asked if I had started praying for a calm child....well, not that specifically, so I guess I should get right on that, huh! I know if need be I can handle a puking, screeching child for a while...God's grace will be sufficient, however, I will admit I am definitely praying for a happy, sleeping baby for most of the trip home!

No comments:

Post a Comment